Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Dumela CANADA!

Dumela CANADA!!

I can’t wait to see you soon on December 23rd just in time for the holidays, snow, and the comforts of home. I’m in need of a break from this sweltering heat and definitely looking forward to changing up my wardrobe…4 months of wearing 1 week’s worth of clothing isn’t my ideal, but it is possible. As I near the end of my placement with the Cancer Association of Botswana with only 2 weeks left I can’t help but reflect on the purpose of me being here in Botswana. It never really crossed my mind as to WHY I am here in Africa on a coop placement and not working somewhere else in Ontario. Six months ago I would have never imagined being where I’m at today, but I like to think that things happen for a reason and I truly believe my experience here in Botswana happened for one specific reason. Some of you may know that I chose to go to the University of Waterloo because of the influence from a really special person in my life. U of Waterloo was my back-up plan, as I was set to study nursing elsewhere in the province. It wasn’t until my Auntie Jan suggested I look into the Rec Program at Waterloo and perhaps even into the coop program, as this would leave my options open upon graduation and be less specific as nursing is. My Auntie Jan had a huge impact on my life; she is a very special role model, teacher, and mentor. She was such a marvelous lady that I think about every day. So I ask myself, how did I become one with the Cancer Association of Botswana? Well it hit me really hard the other day when I paid a visit to the Oncology Unit at the Gaborone Private Hospital. This experience was eye opening as I saw an endless number of patients waiting for treatment and could only think about the numerous visits I made to my auntie during her struggles with cancer. I truly believe that me landing a placement associated with cancer and helping those who are in dire need of assistance was influenced by the impact my aunt had on my education path.

For some of you, you know that my Auntie Jan battled cancer for many years, in and out of remission, ending her battle in 2006 as she passed on shortly before Christmas. I believe that my contributions to an NGO like the Cancer Association has really impacted the lives of those directly and indirectly impacted by cancer. Throughout my 3 months with CAB I have been able to develop many programs, enhancing the well-being of those living in the Interim Care Home. I have also helped CAB with various fundraising events in Botswana to further the development of education programs for the citizens around the country. The lack of knowledge and resources about cancer in this country is significant and cancer is becoming an ever prevailing issue which continues to be undermined. HIV/AIDS in Botswana is the number one killer, and the focus of this virus continues to be on the minds of everyone. People are slowly beginning to realize that cancer is a huge problem here too since HIV/AIDS increases the susceptibility to developing a disease like cancer. Overall, I feel that my role with CAB has helped me develop as a person through the work I have done developing recreational programs (horticulture group, cultural arts group, intergenerational program, weekly outings etc.), implementing various events (stiletto Walk, golf tournament, educational session at University of Botswana etc.), and the day to day interactions with Botswana people. Even though I continue to struggle with the language of Setswana, we still find ways to communicate and implement programs successfully. This here has opened up my eyes to so many aspects of life…probably some I have yet to realize.

SWB(Students Without Borders) – The other students I’m hear with in Botswana are truly an inspiration to this journey. I couldn’t have asked for anything better from these 3 other students. Jess, Iman, and Vanessa are phenomenal ladies. No matter what, the 4 of us would be there for each other 100% of the way. We have had so much fun together, from the weekend adventures of Gaborone night life, our theme song One Step at a Time, to the local friends we have met, the 14 hour bus rides in 40 degree C heat, the Saturday morning coffee trips to Equatorial with Internet access, and the spur of the moment dinner dates, we always have such a great time together. We have all been through our ups and downs, but there always seems to be someone there supporting you when you really need it. To be completely honest, I would never have been able to get through some days without these ladies so shout outs to them – Ke a leboga (Thank you!)

Family Life – Wow, reflecting on this is really emotional for me. I cannot begin to write in words my experience with my home stay. I can truly say I am so fortunate to have found such a special family to live with. I have mentioned it before, but I live with Lorato (mother of the house), Seneo (Lorato’s daughter 6yrs old), Keni (niece of Lorato 23yrs old), Auntie (house helper from Zimbabwe), and Bubbles and Floppy (guard dogs of the house). These ladies are unbelievably welcoming to me. They have taken me under their wings and shown me a true Botswana lifestyle. Something I would have never seen if I was living with other Canadian students. Since I moved in with the family at the end of September, I have been able to experience the Botswana food (pap, samp, morga, etc), visiting their home village of Tamaga, attending a funeral of 2 of their family members, meeting their extended family and then some and so much more. The best part about living in this house is my friend SENEO. Seneo is the life of the house; her smile, her laugh, her contagious personality is incredible. She made my heart crumble last week when she pulled out her suitcase. She had told me she was packed to fly home with me to Canada…I couldn’t believe my eyes… she began by telling me she knows how cold it gets in Canada and showed me her mittens, hat, scarf, jeans, and a winter jacket…I have no idea where she found this clothing because here in Botswana she would never need such warm clothes. Keni and I were talking the other day about the trip to the Airport on December 22…it’s going to be pretty sad. On a brighter note, Keni and Seneo are going to save to come and visit in Canada sometime in the near future. Auntie is also another great part of the family. Auntie does almost everything for me and I found it so difficult to accept and get used to…everything from my laundry, ironing, meals, dishes, etc…I really felt so awkward leaving everything for her to do, especially leaving my dishes and laundry out to be washed. I had to get used to this way of life because she would scold me for washing my own dishes. I can say now that it’s so nice having that extra set of hands to help out. All I can say at this time is that moving in with a local family has been the best decision I made while here in Botswana. Ke a leboga!

My overall experience in Botswana has hugely influenced my thinking about AFRICA. Africa is a continent with many diverse countries within it. Unfortunately my perceived views in the Western world have been of a typical village; children walking down a dirt road with no clothes or shoes, orphans with no food to eat and diseases. Africa is not “World Vision” and Botswana is anything but that. Africa is a place everyone in our country needs to see for themselves to truly understand. Our Western culture has really led us astray to believe what Africa is all about…it is anything but what we see on TV, so keep that in mind. Even from country to country, Zambia to Botswana, the people within are so very different from one another. Of coarse we see the poverty and the development issues within the country, but we need to remember this is also in our own country. I tried to come to Botswana with no expectations which I feel I did a good job at. But I feel like there were still so many things I couldn’t avoid but have preconceived notions about. Botswana is a beautiful part of the motherland and I will always cherish my time here.

So 6 marriage proposals later, many friends left behind to hopefully see sometime in the future, an educational experience no university could have ever taught me, and memories to last a lifetime my time here in Botswana is near its end. I will miss so much about this place and hope to some day visit again. Go siama my friends. Xo

Lorato aka Kate xo

No comments: