Monday, October 6, 2008

Time of my Life...




Dumela my fellow Canadians!

So I’m beginning my 2nd blog and I really don’t know where to start. So much has happened since I last wrote and I want to share it all. First off, I want to say I am LOVING this motherland here in Gaborone. The people here make this lifestyle one I could have never imagined experiencing. Since I arrived I have never felt so much care and compassion from others. These people care what we do, how they can help do what we need to do, want to develop rapport even though we can’t speak their language, and honour our time here even though it is for such a short period. Since I have arrived I have also never experienced any feelings of stress. It is such a relaxed lifestyle here and I have quickly gotten used to it. It kind of scares me to think about the adjustment I will have to make when (and if) I go back to Canada. So just to fill you in, here is a little bit about what has been going on with me in the last 2 weeks.

Work – I work from 8am-5pm Monday-Thursday, and a ½ day on Friday’s. Working with the Cancer Association has really helped me develop confidence in the work I do aside from what academics have taught me at UW. My role is very independent here and taking initiative is the largest aspect of my position. I currently have a few projects in the works, one being the development of a garden for the patients to learn horticultural techniques during their stay which will allow them to take back skills to their villages upon discharge from the hospital. I am also in the works of coordinating a life-skills project where an instructor teaches the patients handcraft work such as basket weaving and beadwork so they can develop income-generating projects upon discharge while back in their villages. Another project I am developing is something that UW already has. It’s called the “Cancer Wellfit Program” which offers exercises, support, education, and guidance for cancer patients. This program is already implemented in the AHS faculty at BMH and has been proven to be a huge success. I met with the coordinator of this program and we will hopefully have a trainer come in starting within a few weeks. The fourth project I am working on is an Intergenerational program which brings together younger and older generations with an aim to increase interaction, cooperation, and opportunities to share stories and ideas in a therapeutic environment. I was walking to work a couple weeks ago and saw a daycare across the street and knew this would be the perfect opportunity for the cancer patients to interact with children during their stay here away from their families in their villages.

A lot is going on here at our office and I am developing a few more programs, but I will wait to share those during my next blog. October is our busiest month as it is Cancer Awareness Month. We will be implementing a conference next week on the Psychosocial Challenges of Cancer as well as a golf tournament, breast cancer awareness sessions, and a stiletto walk to raise funds for cancer. These are just a few things happening in Gaborone, so be sure to stay tuned until my next blog for further updates. I am also so excited about the revamping of the facility that is going to take place during my time here. My dedication to watching HGTV is finally paying off because my dream of being a designer is about to come true. We will be working on the patient wards, patient lounge, and outdoor area to make it feel more like a home-like environment. I will be sure to have a before and after show.

Travel- So everyday seems to be a new adventure. I am always discovering new places out of pure curiosity. I just got back from a 5 day trip where 5 of us travelled on an overnight 14 hour bus to Zambia. This ride was squishy and sweaty but being with my Canadian girls was so awesome. Arriving at the Zambian border on Friday morning at 6am, we got our visa and were off to cross the river on a fairy. Once in Zambia, we travelled for another hour or so and were dropped off in the main city. In a parking lot with our travel guide book, we did our best not to look like lost tourists and found our way to Jolly Boys hostel. This hostel was the best place I have ever stayed in. At $8 US/night it was a steal. It was more like a resort, with a gorgeous swimming pool, restaurant/bar, the coolest lounge area with pillows everywhere, a campground and hostel rooms. As we set up our mosquito nets, took our malaria pills, and made friends with some Europeans, we were off for a night on the Zamizie river for a sunset boat cruise. This cruise was the start of a phenomenal trip, spotting elephants, crocodiles, and the perfect sunset, it was a night to remember. We then ventured to a local bar, danced the night away and got a couple hours of sleep. Sleeping in a room with 16 others really isn’t as bad as I thought it would be, it was actually a really neat opportunity to bond with others.

Waking up at 6am, we were off to Victoria Falls, one of the 7 natural wonders of the world. These falls were absolutely breathtaking and I can’t wait to share the pictures when I get back to Canada. We had a local guy show us the other side of the falls where we stood right on the edge looking over, probably one of the scariest things I have ever done, especially since I’m afraid of heights. On our way back we saw monkeys everywhere…so close I thought they were going to jump me, but I loved it. Once we finished up at the falls we headed back to our hostel and caught our bus to go white water rafting on the Zambize. I cannot even tell you in words how I felt during this experience. These rapids are the best in the world, and me who has never been in a rafting boat, I was so ready for the challenge. We started from the top of the falls and walked down wooden stick stairs right to the bottom, taking us about 30minutes to get down. Once we were there we hoped in a boat with 4 Aussies, our guide Babyface, and us, 3 Canadians. These people made the trip one to never be forgotten. I don’t think I have ever laughed so much in my life. After learning the technique of the paddle, they soon moved me to the front of the boat to take charge with Jess, the other Canadian. It was such a surreal feeling looking down as we approached a huge rapid, the nose of the boat so deep in the water I thought I was going to be tossed out. I think the best rapid was when our guide told us to jump out of the boat as we were approaching a rapid and just let the water take us through it. I don’t want to scare you mom and dad, but I panicked so much because I got caught in a whirlpool I didn’t think I was going to make it to the surface. But here I am, writing about this experience, reflecting on the craziest adrenaline rush in my life and all I can do is smile. Floating along the river with the most beautiful surroundings, watching locals fly fish and dry out dinner in the sun it was a marvellous experience I will never ever forget. After paddling our way through 15 rapids for 4 hours we arrived to shore and were taken back to the resort for a dinner and to watch the video of the extremes we took on. The night was not complete until we accepted the offer for the tour guides to take us to a real local bar and show us how to dance Zambian style.

Another late night turned into another early morning as we woke up 2 hours later and were off to Chobe National Park back in Botswana. We arrived and were taken on a boat tour to an area of the country with over 60,000 elephants. This number is questionable and potentially could be more like 100,000 elephants, but they say it’s so difficult to keep track of. Having our own private tour guide on our own boat, we saw cape buffalo’s, crocodiles, hippos, rhinos and the list goes on. As the boat tour came to an end, we were picked up and taken to our accommodations for the night. We arrived in the middle of the safari on a camp site with tents to sleep in, a hole in the ground as our toilet, and a bucket in the trees for our shower. Jansen, our safari guide took us out to the heart of the safari where we saw everything we could have imagined. We saw 4 of the big 5; giraffes, elephants, lions, zebras, but no leopards. There was a point in time where I had to stop and realize that this is real, there is a lion about 10m away from the truck and yes this lion could do anything it wanted right about now. My favourite part of the game drive was when the sun was setting and the elephants were swimming across the river. I felt like I was watching Disney’s Lion King, but it was 100x more exceptional. So once the sun went down we headed back to camp, but on our way we spotted 3 lions eating away at a zebra down at the river, it was so cool. Back at camp we each showered under the tree and sat down for dinner in front of the campfire. It had been a long few days, with only an accumulation of 6 hours of sleep within 3 days so we were calling it an early night. I had some trouble falling asleep as I heard the elephants trumpeting and the hyenas howling as they passed through our camp site but for some odd reason I still felt safe in my mesh tent. I was one with the surroundings and wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. I just enjoyed every moment I could and tried my best to soak it all in. So, two buses, and 12 hours later we were back in Gaborone, home sweet home. Stay tuned until my next adventure…perhaps in Swaziland.

Living – So I currently moved to my 4th and final home during my stay here in Gab’s city. My first was at a volunteer house with a bunch of people from around the world, then I was at a place called “Budget Lodge” which was pretty budget…not the greatest name from a marketing perspective, then moved to the WUSC Director’s house while she was on holidays, and just yesterday I moved in with a local Botswana family in Marapula. Fortunately this family is the perfect fit. I was slightly nervous but as soon as we met I had such a positive vibe from them. I live with a mom, Lorato, her daughter Seneo, niece Keni, and house keeper Auntie. I moved in after work yesterday and felt like I was at home immediately. The family is so welcoming and warm, I couldn’t have been placed with anything more perfect. We all had the famous Nando’s (chicken and chips) for dinner as they invited their extended family over to meet me. They are all so happy about having me there and it’s so amazing to feel so welcomed as a stranger. The little girl is already attached to my hip and even wanted to sleep in my bed with me the first night. I now have the sister I never once had in life, along with my new dogs Bubbles and Floppy. They said they have never heard her talk so much before. They have already started to plan weekend trips to show me around their village and really want me to see everything I can while I am here.

Fun in the Sun…or Dark – So like I said before, I take every opportunity I can to see what I can and spend my time outside exploring. Before I know it, I will be back in Canada, in the freezing cold and not living in 40 degree sunshine. I will admit, I am getting a nice tan and loving it. A couple weekends ago we made a trip to one of the really nice hotels in the city, walked in, sat by the pool and spent the day there. It was pretty sly but we made it work. I’m actually off to play some tennis tonight with a friend at the University of Botswana and still looking to play some pick-up volleyball and maybe the locals will teach me how to jump as high as they do… What I really miss about Canada is the normalness of people running on the sidewalks. Here in Gabs, first, there aren’t any sidewalks and the people walk so much they don’t need to run for enjoyment. Anyway, at night we have discovered some really cool clubs. The nightlife starts much earlier here then it does in Canada. If we aren’t out of the house by 8pm, then the chances of us getting in anywhere is tough. So for us Canadians hanging out with our Botswana friends, we’ve really had to adapt our ways and start getting ready at 6pm instead of 9pm. We’ve checked out a few places; Fashion Lounge, Lizard Lounge, Bull and Bush, Linga Longa, and many more. Not sure what is up this weekend but I’m sure I will have lots of updates.

As for now, I look forward to hearing from all of you. Now that you’ve read my life story of the past couple weeks, I want to hear what’s going on in Canada from you. Hope all is well over there. One word of advice…slow down and look at your surroundings, examine what you’re doing right in life and re-evaluate what you can do to enjoy every moment even more. My time here in Botswana thus far has taught me the importance of serenity and the positive impact it can have on life. Give it some thought, because you too can experience the love of Botswana.
~ Kate ~

2 comments:

kdandy said...

you're going to make me and HGTV so proud! I am very jealous of your safari trips, they sound amazing!! keep living the dream Tippy...but come back in January, I miss you too much :(

Danger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.